Thursday, March 16, 2006

Encounter 06: IIM I ……Phod Dala RE !!!

First Impression:

I was holding the exact address of Indian Institute of Capital Management (IICM) in my hand. It is mentioned as plot number 82 Sector No 17. I was searching if the plot number was written anywhere so that I can get a clue…..but thanks to Navi Mumbai Mahanagar Palika there were even no remote signs of plot numbers. I searched for more than 1 hour (thank God I left early today) and asked almost 10 shop keepers but no clue. Finally I called my friend who used great google to locate my destination.
I meet with a guy standing outside who had his interview in morning batch he said chill dude!!! No new things as usual they asking acads to freshers and work ex questions for working guys. I thought that this encounter would be nothing but repetition of what happened in last 5.

Rule of the Game:

Case study (thank God I am sick with the normal GDs and hell repetition of same points)
05 mins to think 15 mins to talk and 5 mins to summarize. In PI the sequence will be random.

My Show:

Started discussion with giving good direction to the case. Then chipped in 3-4 times with good points …..Overall I was happy with the GD performance. I just completed the 3/4th summary when he took paper back (I realised it was only 31/2 mins but no objection after everything fare in WAR)

PI

The panel took almost 15 mins to call first name so I am damn sure it will be none other than me as I had written so lengthy and know it will take 15-20 mins to read it thoroughly.

I thought the interview will be just formality …..like tell me about yourself….what you like?….What you do? Why MBA ? and to give it a feel of management interview some gyan on what on society and ethics.

But it was all different game……Meet the two Guru’s from IIM I

Guru 1: Finance and Economy Guru (FEG)
Guru 2: Tech Fundoo Guru (TFG)

And here the details of how the encounter went

FEG : Tell me why you left Bajaj ?
ME : (Oh that mean you were seriously reading my form) My standard ANS

FEG : So you are with which company now ?
ME : TCS sir

FEG: What is TCS’s revenue ?
ME : 2.4 billion $

FEG: Where TCS is present in world ?
ME : Sir almost all over 53 countries……told major market US+ UK + Europe and now days foraying in S American countries and also in China. (I used WE rather than TCS here like I am CEO of TCS and talking about it, in news conference but I hope this showed my great feeling with my great company )

FEG: What is software services? Software products? And ITES ?
ME : Told giving examples with TCS context.

FEG: What is NASSCOM?
ME : Told.

FEG : Who is heading it rite now? What is NASSCOM’s role ?
ME: Bata diya.

FEG : Heard of NASDAQ ? Is it similar to NASSCOM ?
ME: Yes sir…but I think it is stock market similar to BSE?

FEG: Are you sure ? It is company or something like BSE ?
ME: No idea sir.

FEG: How can one list shares on NASDAQ? Anyone can do it ?
ME: No sir…there are some regulations and requirements from both side India and NASDAQ also.

FEG: What is ADR, GDR?
ME: American Depository Receipts and Global Depository Receipts.

FEG: Why they used? Are they instruments or shares or anything else?
ME: They are financial tools used to conversion of currency for investors.

FEG: Heard of SDR?
ME: No sir (excuse me I am engineer don’t you read my form!!!)

FEG: Heard about Rich and poor? This is any company or brand?
ME: No idea sir.

(Though out this discussion TFG was reading my file and shown that he didn’t have any interest in MY SLAUTER…..then two profs switched their tasks they exchanged my file and TFG took the control of machine gun…..but I am also ready with my AK 47)
TFG: What is hotspot ?
ME: (Jsach sach bata du kya…..FC Road in Pune and band stand in MumbaiJ ) sir these are wireless LAN access points.

TEG: What is Wi-Fi ? Why it is call so ?
ME: Sir Wireless Fidelity…..you are free to roam and same time access the wireless.

TEG: Any wireless standards?
ME: Sir IEEE 802.11a to IEEE802.11g

TEG : What is difference in these two ? Which one is recent?
ME: Technically sab bata diya.

TEG: What is broadband and intraband ?
ME: Told TRIA definition of broadband and talked about the convergence here. Intraband I said not sure but guess it is …..

TEG: Tell me how the Triband services are possible with single copper wire?
ME: Told its not wire sir…its optical fiber…..he said talk wrt to copper wire only…me explained multiplexing demultiplexing fundas.
(here he grilled me lot on how come three services possible at same time? I tried my best to explain him )
TEG: Tell me what is role of modem?
ME: Sir…it is modulator demodulator…..

TEG: Is there any difference between the ordinary and cable modem ?
ME: Yes sir…. I guess later one better for high data rates.

TEG: Where there is analog and where digital in the link ?
ME : Bata diya.

TEG: I heard companies coming up with the 2inOne GSM + CDMA mobile in India soon in news ? What is that ?
ME: Nothing great in that sir…..it will same like two mobiles in one device and you can use either of two…..as far as GSM and CDMA wireless side are not getting converged in 3G that is nothing great but handing 2 mobile at same time.

TEG : So what is 3G convergence ? Will that be possible in near future?
ME: Talked about the UMTS here and told though Japan implemented 3 G they also not yet achieved that.

TEG: THANK YOU VERY MUCH RUSHIKESH

BOTH : HAVE SOME BISCUITS !!!!
ME : Thank you and have a nice day sir.

What was that……I bate even I applied for any TECH Giant for the job they might not grilled me that in that detail…..But that what the beauty of the IIMs and that’s why I said IIM A ho ya IIM I …..Every interview is different ENCOUNETR and I am enjoying it fullest.

The BIG B is poised next on 21….so Bangalore here I come …..With experience of 6 GD/PI…..I am ready to take any challenge!!!!

2 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger God Krishna said...

awesome man.. i guess u r sure to covert all of the BLACKIs.... best of luck for B..

 
At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey rushi...
well done with techie questions ! i'm up next...
cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home